Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Josh's New Job

Josh loves kindergarten. He especially likes counting. But some of the kids are having a little bit of a tougher time in school. In particular, there is one little girl who has struggled a bit. She is about an inch taller than Emilee (which means she is significantly shorter than the rest of the kids in her class), and not very coordinated. As a result of these two issues, she is slower than the other kids.

Yesterday, when the kids came out of the big doors to go home, this poor little girl got left behind. She was standing behind the doors, big enough to see through the window, but not big enough to push the door open. Her mom saw, and was furious. She said this had happened several times during the school year and the teacher had done nothing to fix the situation. So, I thought of a solution that had nothing to do with the teacher.

I leaned down to Josh and asked if he would be willing to walk in the back of the line behind his friend so she wouldn't get left behind. He said ok. The little girl's mom asked how she felt about it, and she was fine with the idea. (It probably helped that she thinks Josh is cute. I heard her tell her mom so last week.)

Before school I reminded him of his new job. He said he would try to remember. When the kids walked out to go home, I watched for Josh. He was in the back of the line, walking with his friend. I was so proud of him. And his friend's mom was happy to see her little girl keeping up with the rest of the class being escorted by my sweet little gentleman.

4 comments:

  1. That's so sweet! What a great friend Josh is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that story! Way to go Josh... and you too! I'm sure he'll remember this little act of service forever.

    ReplyDelete