Last Thursday night, I had just put Sarah to bed and was enjoying the peace and quiet when the phone rang. Generally, when the phone rings at 10:00, it's not a normal phone call. I saw Overlake hospital on the caller id, and immediately started to worry. When I heard Robert's voice shaking, I started to freak out a little bit.
He was playing first base and took a softball to the other eye. It bounced off the runner's heel and straight into his right eye. He said he couldn't see out of his eye and didn't want his friends, who live 45 minutes away from our house to have to drive so far out of their way to bring him home.
So after making a few phone calls to people who didn't answer, I decided to leave Matthew in charge. I woke him up, told him I was picking Dad up at the hospital. I didn't know when I would be back, but I would leave the lights on and lock all the doors. Then I told him to go back to sleep. Yeah, right.
So I found Robert in the emergency department looking particularly horrible, but sounding better than he had on the phone. (Our house is 30 minutes away, so he had time to calm down.) They did a ct scan and found nothing broken. They then put 5 stitches in the cut under his eye. We arrived home between 12:30 and 1:00.
Friday we went to an opthalmologist. She checked Robert's eye and said there was no damage to it. So we've been putting eye drops in it for a week. (He says he's much better at letting people put drops in his eye than he was when his mom and sister had to combine efforts 14 years ago.) The swelling is gone, the bruise is getting lighter and the stitches come out on Monday.
If you don't want to see the picture, stop here. Otherwise, enjoy Robert's eye in all it's swollen glory.
PS - I'm sure they don't read the blog - but a big thank you to Rex, Leanne, and Matt who drove Robert to the hospital and drove Robert's car home for us.
Did it happen at a church game? Blast those church games, they always seem to get someone to go to the ER. Hope he's feeling better!
ReplyDeleteFirst time was a church game - this last one was a work sponsored city league game.
ReplyDeleteHAHAHA!! I mean..poor Robert! I am glad he is not as much a baby like he was last time this happened and that he is ok. Love and miss you guys!
ReplyDeleteNo more sports for Robert!
ReplyDelete